- Each day 22 Americans die because life-saving organs are not available for transplantation
- Right now there are more than 121,000 men, women and children on the waiting list for life-saving organs in addition to thousands more in need of tissue and
- Every 10 minutes another person is added to the waiting list.
- More than half of those on the waiting list are from minority or multi-cultural populations
- In 2015, in the United States there were:
- 30,000 life-saving organs transplanted from 14,000 donors
- 47,000 corneas transplanted
- More than 1 million tissue transplants from 30,000 donors
- Life-saving organs include heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, pancreas and small intestines.
- Tissue that can save or enhance a life include heart valves, bone, skin and tendons.
- Anyone can sign up to be a donor regardless of age or medical history.
- The quality of medical care is exactly the same whether or not you are a donor.
- Organ donation is supported by almost all religions.
To learn more please click on the links below: